WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Tomcat Security

From: Ryan Barnett <rcbarnett () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:18:41 -0400

There is value in obfuscation just not at the expence of other
security measures.

Here is my analogy - Military Tanks.

They are obfuscated against identification by color (tan for the
desert, etc...) and are made of armour to help protect against enemy
fire.  No one would be stupid enough to build/use a tank that is
camoflaged with the correct color scheme but is made of wood.  On the
flip side, no one is foolish enough to build a tank with the correct
armor and then color it in neon yellow!

Obfuscation has a purpose but only after you have completed other
hardening steps (patches, minimize unneeded services, etc...).

--
Ryan C. Barnett
Web Application Security Consortium (WASC) Member