WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: suggesting passwds to users

From: maburns () safenet-inc com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:50:29 -0700

The best answer is two-factor authentication such as a USB ikey token which
is technically identical to a ATM card. It carries the identity of the user
and the shared secret for authentication is programmed onto the key and
encrypted. It is much more secure then username and passwords and is
actually easier to use since the only thing the user needs to remember is
their pin number. Two-factor authentication means 1) something you have (Key
token) with something only you know (pin) so it does not matter if either is
lost or stolen since you need both (hence two-factor) to get access, again
the same as your ATM card.

People are familiar with ATM cards so the education issue is simple and
again a two-factor token is more secure then complicated passwords that a
user will write down which defeats the security....right????

Mary Ann Burns