WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:10:00 +1000

Not sure on Thawte costs.

Its my understand that some AV products don't inspect HTTP contents  under
all circumstances - e.g. when the content stays in memory, not written to
disk.  Often, browsers do not cache HTTPS content, thus the disk-based AV
control never sees the malware content until after the infection has
occurred.  Other common AV products never (in my experience) look at HTTP
content at any time - but maybe those products have been updated in recent
months.

Finally, in my experience, few people have AV, spyware and firewall tools.
Those who have separately purchased/licensed such products may be protected,
but the majority are not protected.  If I wanted to get spyware inside a
business' network, I'd do it through a SSL tunnel.

Lyal