WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Languages/platforms used for Web apps. Any stats?

From: Steve McCullough <website () showmethesmut com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:42:55 +0000

In my experience, most web hosting companies try to limit the ability of
scripts to compromise their servers (by, for instance, denying the
script daemon write access to the filesystem), and leave the security of
the application logic up to the customer.

This compartmentalization generally also means that the customers have
to trust that the hosting provided uses well-configured, well-monitored,
well-patched servers.

Steve

--
Steve McCullough
web developer, S.M.U.T. Magazine > www.showmethesmut.com

focus () karsites net wrote:
One of the major problems with PHP and other server sided
languages provided by web hosting services is the fact
that the web hosting provider has no control over the code
written by their customers. This leads to all sorts of
security holes being left wide open. The most obvious one
is not checking variable content submitted by user forms.
I cannot see any way around this.

The customer, possible a newbie to SSS, wants PHP or ASP
available on their website, so they can experiment with
writing scripts. The hosting providers offer the required
SSS language to attract business.

The hosting provider has no idea what scripts their
customers are writing, and uploading to the hosts server.

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me really.

Just my 2 cents.

Keith Roberts

http://www.karsites.net/