WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: Achim Hoffmann <ah () securenet de>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:27:07 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Amir Herzberg wrote:

!! > I think a better approach is to use Netcraft Anti-Phishing toolbar <
!! > http://toolbar.netcraft.com/ >
!! I agree users should install (and be encouraged to install) a browser
!! extension providing improved security and identification UI.
I disagree.
User should not be treated to install anything just 'cause some sites
won't implement a secure way, or the browser is not able to inform proper.
Most users don't even know what they should look for.
As this is not only a problem of the site (using HTTP for the login site is
technically secure), I'd more like that the browser vendors keep an eye for
that and undoubtly inform the user what happens (opera 8.01 and Konqueror are
on the right track currently, but still not perfect:)

BTW, same applies to JavaScript alert() and prompt() windows: browser problem!

Someone out there to teach browser developers?

-- Achim