WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Article - A solution to phishing

From: "Damhuis Anton" <DamhuisA () aforbes co za>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:30:42 +0200

Hi group

I had a look at the passmark web site, and at first it really impressed me, but then got thinking, and currently am at
the conclusion that it could still be spoofed by another web site.

A spoofed site could still retrieve the "real" information from the site that is spoofed, as and when the user enters
information. Some of it would be (or could be) hit and miss, but would become gradually easier.

In a Windows environment I would use the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP Object to pass on the users information and get responses
from the real server.

I liked the idea of the picture that the user knows, in the email and on the web site. But surly because the email is
unsecured, (in transport and storage), the attacked could get the picture and thus display it on the spoofed web site
for that user.

Possibly for now ,the  attacker would hopefully move to another site that would be easier to spoof then one secured by
passmark.

Or am I missing something from the presentation?

Regards
  Anton