WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: XSS Testing

From: RSnake <rsnake () shocking com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:03:31 -0700 (PDT)

        You already mentioned other types of encoding, but there are quite a
few, so I finally wrote a cheatsheat to help with this stuff.

http://www.shocking.com/~rsnake/xss.html

        There is Unicode with and without semicolons, with and without padding
of zeros, same with hex, and charachter encoding...

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, PenTest Guy wrote:

| Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:26:11 +0000
| From: PenTest Guy <pentestguy () hotmail com>
| To: webappsec () securityfocus com
| Subject: XSS Testing
|
| I'm testing a web application.  Previously, I had found XSS using a standard
| variant: <scr1pt>al3rt('XSS')</scr1pt> (note used 3 for e and 1 for i as to
| not cause any problems).  I also URL encoded this same variant and it worked
| as well.  So I told them how to fix it (filtering out malicious characters,
| encoding, etc. on the server side) and it seems fixed now.  I was just
| curious if there is any other way to manipulate the same variant, such as
| other encoding schemes, that might bypass the protections I recommended.
|
| Thanks.

| Don?t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
| http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

-R

privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to
this email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
expressly prohibited and may be unlawful.