WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Recent App Test

From: Saqib.N.Ali () seagate com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:43:16 -0700

I changed the url parameter to something like url=www.google.com and
google appeared in my browser. Next, i changed the url to url=www.
whatismyip.com, hoping that the ip address of the webserver would be
displayed, however, only my ip address was displayed.

This type of script commonly used in apps where the system is counting the
number of hits to URL.

This means that my browser is loading the url parameter as opposed
to the webserver script fethching the url and then displaying it for
me in my browser right? Is this a security issue?

How can this be a security issue?

Assuming that it was the actual webserver script fetching the url
parameter and then displaying it for me,

This is quite common too. See:
1)
http://html2pdf.adfinis.com/render.php?URL=http://validate.sf.net&FORMAT=.pdf
2) http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

I've come up with a few
vulnerabilities (listed below) and was hoping that people might like
to share some of their ideas.

Yes this can be used to view/access site that blocked by firewalls.

1) Can use vulnsite as a proxy (& hack other sites)
Maybe. See above.

2) Can port scan using the vuln site by changing url=www.website.com
to url=www.sitetoscan.com:port
Maybe.

3) Can connect to & port scan machines behind the firewall.
Yes. If you are behind a firewall that is blocking access to a website, you
can use the above 2 mentioned URL to get the content from those sites.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net