WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Finally - Curphey award 2004 to SPI Dynamics

From: "Mark Curphey" <mark () curphey com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:09:23 -0400

Mads,

Credit where credit is due. A "black box" scanning company moving towards
helping developers fix problems in the code rather than tell them they have
an issue when its too late and too expensive to fix it. Put the open source
debate aside, where is the downside in that ? They are doing the right thing
and moving in the right direction and I think they should be commended so
others do the same. The industry needs to move towards building better
software. These things are a step in the right direction.

This is of course hardly new. We have had the OWASP Common Library for Java
since 2001 and OWASP also has another Java input validation library called
Stinger (discussed at the OWASP conference). Good developers build libraries
all the time. But this may mark a fundamental shift for a popular scanning
company moving to helping developers to do the right thing rather than
telling them they haven't done the right thing, and I think they should have
a pat on the back.

Clearly an input validation library alone will not secure an application.
Data storage, access control etc all need to be taken care of. There is
nothing stopping any development team building there own but many don't and
so pre-packaged libraries that they can use must be seen as a better
solution for those people. What am I missing here ?

And yes there has been has been C# .NET code lurking around OWASP developers
for a while to do this!