WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Global.asa security under IIS 6.0

From: "saphyr" <saphyr () infomaniak ch>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:52:25 +0200

Hi list !
Hi there!

I am wondering about how much secure is the "global.asa"
file in ASP. It = seems that we can gather there most of the
parameters used with our ASP = pages, but it can be also
a weakness if a malicious guy gets access to = it !

So anyone one knows how secure is it to use global.asa, how
can we get = it from a website (IIS refuses access to it with
an = http://blahblahblah.com/global.asa)...and how can we
avoid people = stealing if ?

I am not sure if you're dealing with the ASP engine or the recent
ASP.Net one.

In the first case, honestly, I don't know. But as aware as I am (...),
there seems to be a pretty strong mecanism behind this implemened
in the filter like a zero-condition: 'if the requested file has a .asa
extension, do not deliver it'. Afterwards, the question is: how can
we get that file without the server knowing it's actually an .asa one ?

One possibility would be to interfer directly with the ISAPI handler,
progammaticaly, and removing the .asa handler section. (can this be
done ? i don't know)

Another possibility would simple be to 'include' it or 'read it' using
the FileSystem object.

Never heard of that case anyway. But I am pretty sure of this:
    - any request from the navigator cannot reach the .asa file
    - any developer having access somewhere on the server should
    be able to get it through some ASP code.

In the second case, ASP.Net, that would be more or less the same
stuff. I guess the .asax access prevention engine is 'maybe' stronger
than its predecessor. However, the object oriented design of that
file should allow access to it from the reflector/introspection classes,
which again leads to the same risk: a developer who gets access to
the server.

.Antoine

--
Securité Web (swiss blog about web security)
http://www.nxtg.net/securiteweb