WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: SSL 2.0 enabled or disabled?

From: Jason Coombs <jasonc () science org>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:52:01 -1000

Aloha, Ralf.

You may be interested to know that Sun's Java Secure Sockets Extension (JSSE) didn't even support SSL version 2 based on a design decision made by the product group responsible for its development -- the vulnerabilities in the SSLv2 protocol were mostly theoretical, as the Million Message Attack was not able to discover the server's private key but rather it was able to discover the SSL session/secret key. This isn't a good thing, to be sure, but it isn't so bad as to be likely in the real world to result in a meaningful exploitation and thus harm.

I'm not sure if Sun reversed its design decision in this respect and enabled SSLv2 in JSSE at some point, or not, as I never revisited the issue. All of the SSLv2 servers that I was working with at the time have since upgraded, so it would require some sort of test bed or an answer from Sun themself as to what they did and why, and whether they had to change direction, when, and why.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org