WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Tying a session to an IP address

From: exon <exon () home se>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:30:44 +0200

Scovetta, Michael V wrote:
..."I'd say it doesn't do diddly squat to add to security, since it's trivial to spoof ones address."

Is that really true? Is it trivial to spoof an arbitrary, specific
address?

Yes. Ofcourse, the return traffic will go to the spoofed address, but the spoofed packets will still make it through.

Can you make my traffic log think that you came from 158.4.24.21? Or 127.0.0.1?

Perhaps. What I can do is make the packet look like its coming from whatever address I want. What your machine believes is a different matter.

I agree that within a subnet or behind
a hacked router, sure, but at some point a router in the downline is
going to say, "WTF! I don't know about the 158.4 subnet, screw that!"

You're assuming that routers care about a packets origin.

Unless I totally misunderstand the issues at hand in spoofing IPs...

You might have.

Mike

Andreas