WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Question concerning usage of languages for webapps

From: "Kinyon, Rob" <Rob.Kinyon () progressive-medical com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:25:21 -0400

I use Perl exclusively. As for my top 5, it would be (in no particular
order):
Java, Perl, ASP/.Net/whatever, Python, PHP

I very rarely see PHP in commercial organizations, the same for perl
but see
it a lot in hobbyist and open source project type sites so I think it
would
be great to have it covered well in the Guide (actually I think Mikael
already wrote a great section on this if I recall).

PHP is used extremely rarely in commercial organizations. Same with
Python. Perl, however, is used extremely often. In fact, you mentioned
high-profile financial services / ecommerce apps.

1) The most requested non-mainframe skill in the financial world is Perl
development against Sybase databases.
2) Sites that run on Perl:
    Amazon
    EBay
    E-Toys
3) Commercial organizations that use Perl:
    Motorola
    MasterCard
    Verizon Wireless
    AT&T