WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Secure Coding? Bah!

From: "Dinis Cruz" <dinis () ddplus net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:47:29 -0000

I totally agree with Glenn on this, the root of 'insecure software' lies
in the current culture that promotes 'insecure software development'.

What is interesting about this debate is that almost everybody is right
in their individual comments (Programmers need to write secure code, but
they don't know how to do it and in some cases trying to teach them is a
waste of time and money).

In my humble opinion the problem is with:
        a) The development environment (which currently is primarily
designed for 'Rapid Code Development' and not for 'Secure Code
Development')

        b) The lack of an 'Application Security Measurement' Standard
which would allow the comparison of the level of security from Product A
to Product B

        c) The lack of a 'Secured inside' brand which would allow the
clients to clearly identify who is producing secure Applications

        d) The lack of client pressure for secure applications where
they say to the market "Security is Deal-Breaker and we will only buy
Secure Applications". Of course that this is impossible to do without an
Application Security Standard and an Application Security Brand

        e) The lack of Application Vulnerability Assessment tools which
allow the automatic and regular test of an Application's Security during
the: Evaluation, Pilot, Implementation and Maintenance/Support phases

I have written an article about this which you might find interesting:
"Microsoft must deliver 'secure environments' not tools to write 'secure
code'" (see http://www.developersdex.com/gurus/articles/724.asp)

I have also created an Asp.Net Security Analyzer (published at Owasp:
http://www.owasp.net/dotnet) which is an example of the kind of tools
that are needed for the creation of these 'secure environments'.

Thanks to everybody for such an interesting discussion thread.

Best regards

Dinis Cruz
.Net Security Consultant
DDPlus (www.ddplus.net)