WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Custom session tokens and XSS

From: dafydd <dafydd () dsl pipex com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:52:03 +0100

Thanks Rob,

Yes, the session fixation possibility does call for a qualification to my
previous mail, but I think part of the point still stands.

By causing the user's browser to submit a form containing the attacker's valid
token, the attacker can inject arbitrary HTML/JavaScript into the user's
browser within the authenticated area of the application. However, this could
not straightforwardly be used to capture the session token of an already
logged-in user (because the page returned containing the attacker's code
would obviously also contain the attacker's token).

Re the original possibility in session fixation vulnerabilities (where the
attacker fixes the user's session token before the user authenticates), this
would be blocked in the usual way -- i.e. the app sets a new session token
after every successful login.

Of course, the usual caveat applies -- you can do more with XSS than just
cookie stealing (e.g. presenting a trojan login form). But because cookie
stealing attacks are normally so easy to perform using XSS and require the
least amount of user naivety, using a session management mechanism that can
withstand them does raise the bar by some extent.

Cheers,
PortSwigger