WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Custom session tokens and XSS

From: Dean Saxe <Dean.Saxe () magnetbanking com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:47:25 -0400

Why couldn't this be used for XSS?  If the form field name is constant it
would be trivial to write JavaScript to loop through the available forms on
a page, find the token and forward it to an attacker.  The attacker than
then use the token for authentication and, theoretically, will be allowed in
the application.

Unless I'm missing something here, this is ripe for exploitation unless the
data is sanitized before being returned to the browser.

-dhs