WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: IP Address Question

From: "David Wall @ Yozons" <dwall () yozons com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:02:06 -0700

In general, using a forged IP address will run into routing problems for any
example, in which the responses don't matter and perhaps because they want
the responses to also flood someone else's network.

However, it is possible for a user behind a bank of proxy servers to appear
to change IP addresses for each request.  Therefore, the IP addresses are
correct for any given HTTP POST/GET type of interaction, but it may use one
IP address for a set of invocations, and then switch to another IP address
(because it's using a different proxy server) for subsequent requests.  This
seems rares in our logs, but AOL systems seemed to be notorious for this
sort of thing.

David