WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Dictionary and brute forcing web authentication?

From: "Calderon, Juan C (EM, DDEMESIS)" <Juan.Calderon () ge com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:07:22 -0400

Those popup windows appear when *basic*, *windows integrated* or
*Digest* authentication is used. Perhaps, you are getting a *Integrated
windows* or *Digest* authentication popup (which only works on IE
clients accessing IIS servers) watch the HTTP headers using a proxy like
Exodus or Paros to identify witch authentication are you dealing with.
Some of the possible values for *WWW-Authenticate* header are *basic*
for basic authentication (here you can use something like DownBload
suggestion), *NTLM* for windows authentication and *Digest* for digest
authentication.

I dont know a tool for brute forcing windows or digest authentication.
In fact, given those are challenge digests instead of  *direct*
authentication type, I doubt a tool like that exist.