WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Web app based on .net - best practice?

From: "Harbar, Spencer" <spencer.harbar () dns co uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:24:57 +0100

you definitely want to put your business logic on a different subnet seperated by a firewall...

you could check out the Microsoft prescriptive guidance for ASP.NET:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/secnetlpMSDN.asp

This has extensive coverage of the areas you mention.

It is possible to configure DCOM/COM+ to use one RPC port per application, in addition to 135.
This gives you a practical and measurable way to let RPC through firewalls.

Check out http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/rojacobs/samples/dev359.zip for sample code for this.

However, if you are using .NET why not use Web Services and therefore HTTP as the inter-zone communication channel?
Or are you restricted by windows 2000 / legacy COM components?

With Windows 2003 Server you can expose legacy COM+ applications as Web Services simply by checking a box in the COM+
GUI.

hth
Spence