WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: JDBC PreparedStatements, Java Data Objects/O-R mapping, and SQL Injection

From: "Jeff Williams @ Aspect" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:01:43 -0500

The latest JDBC spec says:

"PreparedStatement objects represent SQL statements that can be prepared,
or precompiled, for execution once and then executed mulitple times.
Parameter markers, represented by "?" in the SQL string, are used to
specify input vaues to the statement that may vary at runtime."

But "precompiled" is never discussed or defined (it's not even technically
required since the word "may" is used). But let's look at a real example,
the MySQL JDBC driver, since it's open source and widely used. When a
PreparedStatement is constructed, the query string is parsed into pieces
separated by the "?" marker. Then the user uses the setXXX() methods to
fill in the objects. Then when executeQuery() is called, the full query
string is assembled, written to the database, and executed. The only
"precompiling" is the simple parsing in the constructor.  I see no
protection against SQL injection gained by using PreparedStatements, at
least with the MySQL driver.  NOTE: I haven't confirmed this with a test
program yet.

Now just to be clear, I think using PreparedStatements is a good idea. But
since the spec doesn't provide any meaningful protection against SQL
injection, I think anyone using JDBC ought to do their own protection.
Then if they ever change drivers they will still be protected. There is
really no way to know what a closed source database driver does behind the
scenes.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security, Inc.