WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Prevent security bypass

From: Chris Travers <chris () travelamericas com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:06:26 -0800

Hi;

MS-CHAP is vulnerable to a modified replay attack with regard to domain login (why Microsoft went to Kerberos in Windows 2000). However I do not think that this sort of attack could work on a public web server. Unfortunately Mac and Linux clients won't be able to log into a public server is you select this option.

For a public web server I recommend basic (plain text) authentication and providing security by using SSL.
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Adam wrote:

I might be wrong about this but I couldn't find anything on MS' site (who
can?) but I thought the standard NT challenge response was sent unencrypted.
If this has changed I'd love to know because t would sure make my life
easier :)

Adam