WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Top Ten Web App Sec Problems

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:33:55 -0500 (EST)

Based on CVE statistics, cross-site scripting is the 2nd most
frequently publicly reported vulnerability this calendar year,
overall.  Since XSS is mostly specific to web apps, this probably
makes it the #1 vulnerability in deployed web apps (though web
browsers and servers are sometimes subject to XSS too).

I do not have an easy way of finding the CVE items for web-specific
vulnerabilities and summarizing those.  Also, the vulnerability
statistics are not as low-level as I'd like with respect to
web-specific issues like parameter tampering.

For what it's worth, here are my general impressions for web apps
(which excludes server- and browser-side vulnerabilities):

Top Three (my best guess)
-------------------------

- XSS is widespread.

- Probably a good percentage of all reported directory traversal
  issues are in web apps; wild guess is 50-60% of all traversal.
  Note: this includes many canonicalization errors, but I don't have
  that level of detail.

- Probably a good percentage of authentication and privilege
  escalation errors are in web apps; my wild guess is 50-60% of all
  reported authentication issues, and 30-40% of all privilege
  management issues.

Others
------

- Other common issues are: (a) storing sensitive files under the web
  document root with world-readable/writable permissions, (b)
  plaintext passwords, (c) buffer overflows [although probably near
  the tail end of the top ten, since many web apps use scripting
  languages that aren't subject to overflows], (d) shell
  metacharacters, and (e) real pathname information leaks [though
  there are several different causes of such leaks]

- High-profile, "interesting" bugs like SQL injection and PHP remote
  file execution / variable tampering are not that frequent,
  relatively speaking.  This makes some sense since many web apps
  don't use a database, and many don't use PHP.

- As I said in my Bugtraq post last week, "malformed input" is a
  poorly understood "superclass" of vulnerability.  Upon reflection, I
  don't think I've seen too many issues in web apps that are related
  to malformed inputs.  If this is true (and it may not be), then I
  wonder if auditors are even looking for this type of issue, as it
  often results in "only" a DoS whose scope may be limited.

Steve