Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Weird shellcode behavior

From: gljuposti () gmail com
Date: 6 May 2007 17:55:24 -0000

I am building an exploit (heap OF) and I am experiencing different shellcode behavior depending on the parametar I can
in no way associate with this problem. For one parametar value the shellcode gets  executed correctly, but for the
other, there are problems.
For example, the calc.exe shellcode creates a calc.exe process (I can see it in task manager), but its window is never
displayed. Some other shellcodes like the add user shellcode don't work at all. I use shellcodes from Metasploit.
The shellcode gets called each time and it hasn't been changed in memory, it just doesn't behave like it should.
Has anyone ever experienced something similar or has any idea why it could happen? This leaves me totaly confused.
TIA