Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Java - JRE, SDK Java Web Start

From: 3APA3A <3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:19:58 +0400

Dear jfvanmeter () comcast net,

 Vulnerability  in JRE itself can not be exploited directly. It can only
 be  exploited  through  some  JAVA-enabled application, browser in most
 cases. In case of e.g. JAVA-based Cisco VoIP software, vulnerability in
 JRE  can only be exploited in case vulnerability is in in some function
 used  with  remote  user-supplied  arguments. It's rare enough case for
 Java.  In  this  case,  I believe, Cisco (or write any different vendor
 here)  should issue an update for it's software. It's not necessary for
 Cisco  to  update  software every time JRE is updated, if vulnerability
 doesn't affect Cisco product installation.