Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Cracking Tutorial - LinuxWorld

From: The Jabberwock <jabberwock () tenebrous com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:38:49 -0400

It doesn't get more straight forward than the notorious phrack article "Smashing the Stack for Fun and Profit" by aleph1; and for most beginners this is a solid 3 hour tutorial. This of coarse is dedicated specifically to buffer overflows. Were you looking for a specific technique or perhaps many techniques covered individually?

The Jabberwock

John Mark Walker wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a good 3-hour tutorial teaching how to break commonly-used security methods, install rootkits, etc. LinuxWorld San Francisco is on August 14, and I really want a good tutorial on this. My impression is that a lot of administrators are complacent thinking that open source software is inherently more security, and I want to take this opportunity to instill in people's heads the virtues of good methodology, not necessarily tools. Is anyone interested? If so, contact me off-list and let me know where you've led similar tutorials.

Thanks,