Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: shellcoding on gentoo

From: Borja <padre () correo ugr es>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:56:45 +0100

Hi

Lot of ppl tell me that I did not proper zero the EAX register,so 3 MSB of eax corrupt trapping the syscall, but Its OK. I successfully run the shellcodes on a debian box,but in gentoo,allways SEGFAULT.

There is it, a new log:

petalo shellcode # cat 1.asm
BITS 32

;exit()
xor eax,eax
xor ebx,ebx
mov eax,1
int 0x80

petalo shellcode # nasm -g -f elf 1.asm
petalo shellcode # ld 1.o
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 00000000080480a0
petalo shellcode # ./a.out
Segmentation fault
petalo shellcode # gdb -q a.out
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) break 1
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80480a0: file 1.asm, line 1.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /root/code/shellcode/a.out

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
The program no longer exists.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb) q

petalo shellcode #
Linux petalo 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 #9 Sat Dec 24 14:37:56 CET 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

I cant explain why SIGFAULT.
I did not edit any advanced kernel configurations rather than snd card and ethernet.

Thanks in advance.