Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: books or material on mail protocols

From: "John R. Morris" <jrmorris () nerdality com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:04:04 -0500

Mads Rasmussen wrote:

I searched amazon for books on mail protocols such as pop2/3, imap3/4 and smtp but wasn't able to find anything interesting, like code examples.

What puzzles me are the mime encodings and if it's possible to write back to an imap server, you read the message, modify the body and write the changed message back to the imap server. I know the source are the RFCs on each protocol, that's fine to understand the protocol, but how do you implement it in win2k, 2k3, unix??

Could anyone help out?

Thanks for the info on sql injection!!

Mads

Oh and of course from a pure protocol perspective, there is:

The TCP/IP Illustrated series of books.

Ultimately though, MAPI & such on the Windows side is pretty black box; MSDN/Microsoft has programmatic references for it. On the other side, your best bet is really the RFC's, other exploits previously coded, and the software source code when you can get it.

- John