Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Advice On FireFox Bug

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:59:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, John Cobb wrote:

After a bit of playing I found a bug with the latest version of FireFox
which seems to work on Win2K & WinXP /.../ but since im not a
coder/reverse enigneerer it's a bit difficult to understand what's
causing the problem.

John,

If you manually created a malicious input file, you should be well aware
what causes the crash; I take it you took an approach more similar to my
'mangleme' experiment (see BUGTRAQ archives) - if so, you'd have a file
with plenty of broken HTML tags, and would be tasked with finding which
one, exactly, causes the problem.

You're probably looking the wrong way - many problems occur after initial
parsing and splitting of tags, and so, a step-by-step HTML parser
debugging is probably not going to help a whole lot.

Chances are the problem is caused by a single tag. The easiest way to find
it is to split the file in two parts - and see which one, if any, crashes
the browser. If you get a crash, continue this procedure - in just a
couple of steps, you should go down to a file that can be easily examined
manually.

If, at some point, you end up with two halves, neither of them causing a
crash, try uneven ratios, or remove a portion from the middle of the file,
leaving a block at the beginning and near the end intact. Also pay
attention to the balance of '>' and '"'.

Also, don't be afraid to read the debugger output on crash, even if you do
not know the product and are not too comfortable with assembly - crash
location, along with stack backtrace and register contents, should give
you some hints as to where the crash occured, and what data ended up where
it does not belong.

(This bug is 0day. If you work for a nice rich security company and want
to purchase this of me, email me: johnc () nobytes com :) )

Oh, that's not nice.

/mz
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/silence/