Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: No body emails and Norton antivirus

From: <lwalcher () sterling edu>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 14:44:36 -0000

This is a Norton issue that goes way back:

http://www.c4.net/Index.cfm?Method=NewsStories.NewsStory&NewsStory_ID=229

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;813514

Hope this helps,
Luke Walcher
Systems Admin
Sterling College Campus Computing
http://www.sterling.edu

Hello,
 we're getting reports from our customers about
Outlook + Norton Antivirus crashing on certain messages.
We tryed to track the problem down, and it seems like that
emails without body and without the \n separating the body
from the headers crashes them. We had not the time to track
the problem down any further, but can anybody confirm this?
Many mail servers accept mails ``without body''.
 We couldn't reproduce it on _all_ platforms, but we
experienced the problem on many installations.

 You can generate a simple test case by sending a
message to your account using something like:

telnet mail 25
rcpt to: ...
data