Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

FreeBSD shellcode

From: Joshua Davis <jdavis () transient-iss com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:31:39 -0500

  Hi.  I developed some simple shellcode and sent it to my FreeBSD box along
with a custom format string to exploit Qpop 2.53.  When the shellcode didn't
work and GDB reported 'illegal instruction', I compared and contrasted.  To
my suprise, Qpop or FreeBSD had taken the bytes 0x80, 0x88, and 0x89 from my
shellcode.  Does anyone have any idea why this occurred?  I assume a range of
values is being exclused.  0x79 was fine.

--

  Joshua Davis
  Information Security Program Operations