Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Changes in Aleph1 Smashing the Stack...

From: Nessim Kisserli <nessim.kisserli () rhul ac uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:21:19 +0000

hi Florencio,

there have been many, many changes since aleph1's article. try looking
over the archives for this list for a few tips, most of the problems
you'll have will probably be with padding, and the technical details
will depend on which version of gcc you're using (e.g. see Chris Eagle's
post for nov. 15 for an idea of what to expect). unfortunately the vast
majority of available papers online don't really mention this.

you could save yourself some time and get hold of "hacking: the art of
exploitation" by Jon Erickson (i'm not saying it's the definitive word
on buffer overflows, just that it'll get you started and up to speed as
painlessly as possible :) i thought it was a good book.

have fun,

nessim