Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Stealing NT passwords through WiFi?

From: Ugen <ugen () xonix com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:13:07 -0400

hypronix wrote:

But that requires the user to either have his TCP/IP protocol enabled by default in the WiFi card settings [in which case Win will automatically try to connect to any and all APs it finds] or to have the network in his/her Preferred Networks list to automatically join. The second case is more likely knowing that most users will just enable the option to save themselves time... But, with that happening, the scenario sounds... sense-full.

*//*

/*
The second case is something I am seeing in reality. The reasoning is that
"users arent savvy enough to play with settings" and at the same time the desire is to have their machines come on line "automatically" once they get into the
coverage area of organization APs.

I got some tool recommendations and will follow up on these. One thing I haven't found is a ready made "cracking" tool for MS-CHAP encrypted passwords. If the scenario is real threat - I need to make sure we don't end up doing this here,
and the only way of convincing is by demo at this point.
--Gene
*/