Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Hacking USB Thumbdrives, Thumprint authentication

From: <David.Cross () ngc com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:39:51 -0700

Your concerns are shared by the majority of people at this point in time.  It is very likely that thumbprint devices,
if used commonly, will lead to everyone's prints being added to a national or international database at some point in
time.  This seems to be an inevitable progression of our society.  No amount of justification could make it right but
I'm convinced it will happen. In the mean time I will continue to learn everything I can about biometrics.

For this reason I hope people don't choose biometrics as a mainstay.  But funny things happen when politicians get
nervous.

Perhaps people should spend more time analyzing these technologies so that there are reasons to avoid biometrics as a
whole.