Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Ethernet ( MAC ) Address Reliability

From: Steve Ryan <sirsteve () internetcds com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:43:25 -0700

Burton M. Strauss III wrote:

Trivial to spoof in some OSes... RH8:

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
DEVICE="eth0"
MACADDR="02:00:00:00:00:05"

Ideally, values without that xxxxxx1x bit (LLA) set should be globally
unique.  In practice, there's no testing on the address you set for MACADDR
(and there are legit reasons for assigning other values - say you want to
spoof a NIC for your Cable Modem).

-----Burton