Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Can you exploit this XSS?

From: Robin <robin () technophobia co uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:27:49 +0000

Just by virtue of being able to get script into the page it can be exploited. What can be gained from the exploit is dependant on what the app/site does.

XSS is commonly used to collect session id's so an attacker could gather those using this weakness.

Robin

Paul Johnston wrote:

Hi,

While auditing a web app, I've found the site redirects not found pages to a login screen. This contains an element like:

<input type="hidden"  name="tageturl" value="XXX">

Now, the XXX bit is controlled by the user, and it seems the only characters escaped are " and & - i.e. <script>alert(document.cookie)</script> gets through (hence my tool alerted me).

Can this be exploited for XSS? I can't see how to immediately, but it seems possible.

Paul

--
Robin Wood
TechnoPhobia Limited

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the addressee and are
intended solely for the recipients use.
If you are not the addressee, you have received this e-mail in error. Any
disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful.
Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author personally and
not TechnoPhobia Limited who do not accept responsibility for the contents
of the message.
All e-mail communications, in and out of TechnoPhobia, are recorded for
monitoring purposes.