Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: VisualBasic auditing

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:31:14 -0500

Don't be so sure that buffer overflows won't work; a lot of VB applications
rely on DLLs and other such goodies that are written in C++.  I've seen many
cases where they had a VB coder do most of the app (because they are cheaper
to pay), only to farm out specific sections to a C++ coder because the
functionality in VB wasn't there.  In many ways, if you have the VB source
code, it should be easy to check for buffer overflows in and external
components because you'll have the layout of the data that gets passed back
and forth laid out for you in the code.