Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 Static arp not static

From: Bob Fleck <bob () securesoftware com>
Date: 14 Feb 2003 15:35:33 -0500

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 18:53, Tim Habex wrote:
When I looked at the arp cache of Linux, the static entry was there and
working (?), but on the Windows machine, THE VALUE OF THE STATIC ARP WAS
CHANGED. When ethercap was disabled, the static arp entry was returned to
the original value.
As far as I can tell this comes from a difference in what 'static' is
taken to mean.

Linux, BSD, (Win XP):  Won't time out.  Won't change based on observed
ARP replies.

Win 2k and earlier:  Won't time out.

So all static means to Windows is keep this value, use it, and don't
bother to double-check it on a regular basis.  But if an update wanders
by somehow, update the cache.

If this is a known problem, why hasn't this been fixed. If unknown ... is
Microsoft reading this? ;o)
Can some experienced securityadvisors perform more tests on this? eg. Other
(Windows) OSes, other types of attacks.
This is a known issue. However, XP acts like Linux and other OSes.
Static keeps it from changing.

Bob