Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Internet Explorer JavaScript insecure function

From: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:58:54 -0500

This is an old exploit, google "setCLSID" and you'll see a bunch of docs
referencing this exploit. From what I gather, it's the result of some
combination of a buggy WshShell, jscript.dll, and bad Internet-Zone
security values. I believe Microsoft fixed this more than two years ago,
as per:
   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-015.asp
(and probably others). If you're still using IE 5.x, you should just
upgrade. I'm sure that there are many users still using 5.x browsers, but
if you have it totally patched, this should not be exploitable.

And WriteLine is an function of the ActiveX FileSystemObject, which has
nothing to do with JavaScript-- JS only provides the ability to call
ActiveX functions.

I was unable to get this exploit to work, regardless of my security settings,
using 6.0.2800.1106.

Michael Scovetta