Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Need two files for testing

From: Michael Lastor <mlastor () hawaii rr com>
Date: 16 Dec 2003 21:45:35 -0000

I am working on a certification as an incident handler, and in order to get the certification I need to submit a paper
and take some tests.  The paper needs to be about a specific exploit, show exactly how it works (captured packets,
logs, etc.) and how to clean up after the fact.  The exploit that I would like to write about is the one for the Real
Networks Helix Server that was released around August 2003.  The "fix" from Real Networks was to remove the vulnerable
files from your system.  These files are:
vsrcplin.so.9.0 for the *nix platforms and vsrc3260.dll for the windows platform.
The latest versions that you can download from Real's website have the fix already incorporated in them so they are no
longer vulnerable to this attack.  I am wondering, does anyone have these two files (pre-August 2003) that I can get a
copy of, so that I can see how this exploit works and start working on my paper.  All I need is the files themselves,
not the exploit.
Thanks,
ML