Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: IE without Images

From: Nighttwix () gmx de
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:08:15 +0200 (MEST)

hello

when i try to download the attachment my norton antivirus 2002 pops-up with
a 'xmlid.exploit' warning.
a quick look at the symantecs website shows following result:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/xmlid.exploit.html

so its seems to be exploitable

I've attached a new error.txt that, when renamed to error.jpg, gives me
the following error:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing
resource 'file:///C:/error.jpg'.

This seems to indicate that the jpg is indeed being executed as XML. I
can't figure out how to get rid of this 'invalid character', though. I
don't have much XML experience, and I may be missing something simple.

Also, this is on IE6 / WinXP Pro, both fully patched and supposedly not
vulnerable to the sample exploit I pasted in for the body. I don't know
if this has anything to do with the error I'm getting, though. I
couldn't find a cut-and-paste pure XML example that would pop up a
dialog box or some such, and changing the content after the first XML
header line from the original error.txt still gives me this error.

--
http://www.gmx.net