Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Covert Channels

From: Anton Aylward <aja () si on ca>
Date: 23 Oct 2002 17:23:13 -0400

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 16:29, Michal Zalewski wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Richard Masoner wrote:

In the Trusted Systems world, covert channel analysis and detection is
something that is done, and in that community it's considered science,
not snake oil.

The discussion, as far as I recall, is about typical (n)IDS
implementations that protect regular servers, trying to detect any hidden
data streams established between two network endpoints. There are only two
cases where this kind of detection would be useful compromised internal
host, or a hostile user. Whether it makes sense to discuss and/or deploy
this functionality, is one of the subjects of the discussion.

Quite so.
If you think of something like frequency-agile radio, we have the case
of a covert channel where neither endpoint is "compromised" and the
purpose of the technology in this case is to remain undetectable (by the
channels being barely above background noise) and untappable (since
something like a one-time pad is used to control channel switching).

/anton