Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: looking for recursion stack overflow exploit

From: Sebastian Krahmer <krahmer () suse de>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:11:00 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 bukys () cs rochester edu wrote:

Hi,

Maybe with threads where one thread can smash other threads
stack that way. Other thread then may jump into that loop
too. :) Unfortunally infinite recursion will crash very soon,
so you need special trick like the function arguments that
are pushed on stack should contain adresses the other thread
is then using for retaddr or saved ebp. Its asking for headache
but I assume you can somehow do it with threads.

Sebastian

While a recursion-induced stack overflow can obviously lead to a
denial-of-service attack, are there any examples of it being turned
into an opportunity for remote execution?

NOTE that I'm talking about a RECURSION stack overflow, NOT a buffer
overflow of some stack variables.

Ideas would be very welcome.

Liudvikas Bukys
University of Rochester