Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Evolution of Cross-Site Scripting Attacks

From: David Endler <dendler () idefense com>
Date: 20 May 2002 18:44:48 -0000

Great ! This article is a very good explanation of how to
set-up an attack against web apps by using XSS.

Thanks :-) It was inspired in part by the fact that so many users,
but more important vendors, don't seems to have a clear grasp of
what XSS is and how it affects their sites.

However, it is not really a "prediction" of a new type of attack:
several people (including me ;) have pointed out in the past on
this mailing-list that

I agree, I tried to make that subtle distinction in the paper but
perhaps it didn't come across: I wasn't trying to predict automated
XSS attacks (which have been demonstrated before by others
including you), but instead predict it would start happening more
and more.  The main point was to grab people's attention to
increase awareness ahead of time.

-dave