Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Publishing Nimda Logs - Summary

From: Jonathan Bloomquist <bocasolutions () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:09:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Deus, Attonbitus" <Thor () HammerofGod com> wrote:

4) Jonathan Bloomquist and others actively connect
to offenders to send net
messages to the console.  Pretty cool.

I should clarify - that script was posted to slashdot
and I didn't write it.  I don't admin any production
web servers, just ones I build in my test environments
so I have not actually run that script.

Next Step:
I will probably proceed with my project, taking into
account the
suggestions of the posters.  One thing now interests
me more...
In the vein of JBloomquist's post and another poster
who said to
reverse-patch the systems, I am willing to peek into
Pandora's Box and
explore that precise option-
Waiting for an attack, and then reverse-patching the
box.  Please don't
tell me about the legal ramifications- I don't care
about that yet.  What I
would like to know is if anyone has such an animal,
or how one would go
about reverse-patching an attacking system-- I can't
write that code, but
would really like to try it out.

I lean more to the side of shaming the admins into
fixing them than ignoring them.  However, sending a
message is one thing, but actually patching their box
is going a bit too far for me even if it is to help
them.  Warn 'em, shame 'em, scream at 'em, and mail
bomb their ISP until they take action, but make each
site patch themselves.

"If we kill 'em they won't learn nuthin'."