Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: I HATE antivirus scanners

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:03:18 -0500

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:33:18 EST, Mike Lisanke <lisanke () us ibm com>  said:

able see the 'source' that it was complaining about. I would like to
understand why my server's anti-virus filter would
react at all to anything besides a binary. I take it that the original was

Because some vendor's operating systems are very lax on what formats a virus
can be in - when even HTML and JPGs are considered executable binaries,
you need to scan those too for such malware as can be hidden in them....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer