Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Firewall and IDS, (the second way).

From: "Zow" Terry Brugger <zow () llnl gov>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:55:56 -0800

Then you also have to consider the so called Stealth mode, which is more
typical of a hubbed (perhaps smaller) environments, where no IP address is
assigned to the interface, this makes it non addressable but still available
for promiscious mode hence IDS. In this mode the device should not respond
to probing such as crafted multicast packets, and as its interface is not
defined it would also not know its nameserver addresses so not attempt DNS
queries.

You know, I was just thinking about this some more: is there any way (assuming
that you have sufficient access to a given LAN) to illicit a response from an
Ethernet device directly, regardless of what higher level protocols may or may
not be bound to it? I mean, every Ethernet interface has a unique address, and
there are at least protocols to map IPs to those addresses (ARP) and back
(RARP), so is there anyway that you could maybe generate an invalid Ethernet
frame, send it to some Ethernet address and get a response? Granted, I doubt
this'll be much use in mapping networks blindly though, as the space for MAC
addresses is huge, and can be easily defended against by snipping the transmit
wire on the incoming Ethernet cable (ignoring the convolutions that must be
done along with that).

-"Zow"

use standardDisclaimer