Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Rather large MSIE-hole

From: Slow2Show <sl2sho () yahoo com>
Date: 15 Mar 2002 09:56:02 -0000

well if activex is enabled,
doing this with a available readable by everyone
windows share works

john, my testing at home(please verify) shows that
getting an exe via file sharing and remote web server
follow the same behavior outlined below:

-with security settings set to medium you get a an
error prompt....no code is executed on "victim" box
-with security settings set to low you get a choice box
(yes/no)....code CAN be executed on "victim" box
-the only way a user could set themselves up to be
vulnerable to this hole is if their "Run Unsigned
ActiveX controls" option is set to "enable"....this has
to be manually done(or reg)

Barring any social engineering that gets them to turn
down their security settings, I think most users are
safe for now.

all of these unpatched IE6 holes are
outrageous....come on MS please put out a patch!

lata,

-Slow2Show-
University of Florida

"getting an internship in today's economy is like
getting a chiapet to grow with out adding the
seeds....it just wont happen"