Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: DOCSIS vulnerability

From: "Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix () techmonkeys org>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:06:28 -0600

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:49:22AM +0100, Rense Buijen wrote:
Maybe your posts were rejected because this is very old news.
This is known for ages, I have such a cable modem and indeed you can get
the config file by TFTP; decode, alter, encode and upload it, but the
ISP's are not stupid and most of the time this is NOT how they cap your
cable modem, they throw traffic into a packeteer or use other methods to
squeeze your bandwidth.

Interesting, I did not find anything like the url below via google searches,
as for the ISP's, this is how they're limiting bandwidth. I know for a fact
that it's possible on AT&T's network, as well as Charter Communications.

Then again, AT&T can't even figure out BGP or DNS. AT&T proudly implements
the SVRP(Scenic View Routing Protocol).

All the info can be gathered by a tool like this:
http://www.weird-solutions.com/_bin/bootpq.exe

It was much simpler for me, AT&T leaves the read community as 'public'.

And a simple google search shows up hundreds of articles explaining how
you can "hack" DOCSIS cable modems, unfortunately (unless you have a
completely clueless provider) all these tricks wont work.

E.g: http://lists.wi2600.org/pipermail/2600/2001-October/008668.html

What search terms did you use?

Which dates from October 2001.

A few months after I found it =)

(I tried it but my isp squeezes on the other end of the pipe, some
things that you can alter though is bypass restrictions of how many
computers could be connected right into the modem)

I find it disgusting (again and again) that ISP's can be this stupid.

With kind regards,

Rense