Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Plain text password for Microsoft (icwip.dun)

From: "Roland Postle" <mail () blazde co uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 18:53:22 +0100

When a user wishes to access the internet but doesn't have a specific
ISP in mind a user a can use microsofts connection wizzard to download
a list of ISPs. This wizzard dials to a free phone number stored in
phone.icw and then uses one of the icw*.dun files to authenicate itself
to the network (depending on where in the world you are depends on
which icw*.dun dile is used) Under normal circumstances the connection
wizzard connects to ispreferals.microsoft.com (207.46.152.15) and
downloads a list of local ISP's via series of cab files stored in
various 4 letter directories on the server. The username stored in the
icw*.dun file is "icw5 () gn microsoft com" and the password is "icw5".
One of the dial up servers connected to was tnt59.lnd1.uk.uudial.net.
As you can see this is not a microsoft machine but it does allow you to
access various microsoft machines. (If you are in the UK you connect to
the science park in Cambridge, one of Microsofts research centers).

Recommendations
---------------
Store passwords in an encrypted form

I investigated this a couple of years back. If I remember correctly the
freephone connection you get is extremely limited. I  could access about 3
hosts, do a DNS lookup and download the cab files you mention. I couldn't
find any way to break out of it, (though I was a bit clueless back then). If
anyone's poked around with some more success I'd love to hear about it.

As for storing the plain text passwords of regular .ins files, I agree it's
not ideal. But, given that ISPs love to give you a personalised .ins file
with your username/password in it, and it's not a mamoth task to extract
them from the registry, or from the connect dialog box, it doesn't seem
worth worrying about.

- Blazde