Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe () orcus priv at>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:41:58 +0200 (CEST)

        <3D251B54.50205 () thievco com>
<20020705040920.GS26023 () ifokr org>
--text follows this line--
Brian Hatch <vuln-dev () ifokr org> writes:

You'd only really need one suid program to do this if you write it
to read a config file, ala

      $ cat uid-granter.conf
      # invoking-program   expected-user   suid-to, ...

      /usr/sbin/sshd       sshd            *

What's the point in stripping root from sshd if it is able to run a
shell as any user (including root)?

You could restrict root logins and put !root there. You'd at least
have to take a route over an admin account.

      /usr/sbin/imapd      imapd           !root,*

What does imapd need this kind of privilege for? Ensuring that mail
spools exist and are writable by imapd should be enough, no?

I think that authentication (PAM) should be very separate from
any uid-granting executable.  And really, I can't see a way
to make it work all in PAM anyway.

The benefit of putting both in one place is that you could have one
trusted (hopfully well-audited) component, that hands out uids (or any
privilege, really) if you provide them with the proper authentication
token (password, answer to RSA challange, etc.)

The Hurd's password server is such a service. Give it joe's password,
and it gives you joe's uid. You can have su or telnetd with no special
privilege this way.

Getting that change to a standard kernel is not likely,
unfortunately.

As someone already mentioned, there is a maze of twisty little
solutions, all different. A more widely accepted standard is some
years off (at least).

--
Robbe